[Dixielandjazz] Herb Gardner - arguably the finest Dixieland trombonist

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 10 12:31:56 PST 2008

> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>
>
> Stephen G Barbone wrote:
>
>> This from trombonist Herb Gardner. For those who are not familiar
>> with
>> Herb, he is arguably the finest OKOM trombonist alive in the world
>> today.
> (snip)
>

> Guess you haven't heard Bob Havens, Russ Phillips, Bill Allred or
> Danny
> Barrett?

Of course I have Bob, and am quite familiar with their work. That's
why I said "arguably".  Those who do not know Herb might know these
trombonists with all of whom he has performed:  Dan Barrett, Bill
Allred, John Allred, Spiegal Wilcox, Cutty Cutshall, Vic Dickenson,
Benny Moten, Tom Artin, George Masso, Dick Rath, Art Baron , Ed
Hubble, Joel Helleny, Marshall Brown, Frank Orchard and Jim Fryer.

And that's just the short list. The list of legendary Trumpet and/or
Clarinet players he has performed with in  Dixieland front lines would
knock your socks off. Much too long to print here. Interested
listmates can see it at http://www.herb-gardner.com/bio.html

Like I said arguably, with pick a fight with that?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone