[Dixielandjazz] Re ''Recording direct from sound system"

Bruce Stangeland stangeland at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 6 19:44:58 PST 2008

Phil and Ross,

I just bought a digital audio recorder, the ZOOM H2
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2007/09/13/review-zoom-h2-surround-recorder.html>,
which can record 4-tracks of audio at sampling rates up up to 24bit
96kHz. It contains 4 condensor microphones, two pointing forward and two
backward. You can set it in the middle of a band or jam session and let
it run. I did that at a rehearsal on Monday and am pleased with the
results. On Sunday I set it in the pew next to me and let it run in
2-track mode. It captured the music and sermon very clearly.

The two AA batteries have lasted over 3 hours so far. The 4 GB SD card
that I bought will hold about 3 hours of 4-track audio at the highest
fidelity setting.

It sells for US$200
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480163-REG/Zoom_H2_H2_Ultra_Portable_Digital.html>.,
and is slightly larger than a pack of cigarettes (much smaller than a
computer).

Cheers,
Bruce Stangeland
Berkeley banjoist