[Dixielandjazz] Pay in different areas

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Feb 4 01:54:23 PST 2008

>What's the pay climate like in other areas outside the US?
Mike

Mike, I have often said that you can't compare pay scales between areas due
to the fact that living expenses will most likely be very, very different.

I will go as far to say, though, that we get a heck of a lot more than
people gigging locally in the US on a whole (at least, from what I've
heard!).  But, then, the joints we play at have lines outside the doors to
get in.  Madrid is a "nite town", and there are traffic jams of crowds of
people on the pedestrian streets way up to 5 & 6am in the center of town!!
So, if the clubs make good money, it is only sensible that band rates are
going to be higher.

The concerts are normally City Hall sponsored Cultural programs with big
budgets they have to spend or lose.  And, the businesses that hire bands for
company dinners, etc., are accustomed to paying big bucks, 'cause the name
singers & pop bands have kept the prices up there (& we get to enjoy them!).
Weddings, if they have a band means the folks have money, so the price is
up, also.

Then again, I'm talking about a band with basically the same line-up over a
period of 40 yrs., not a band that gets available people from a list when a
gig comes up. The name does have its value!

Jim (Madrid, Spain)