[Dixielandjazz] Gig pay

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 3 18:07:54 PST 2008

Hi Jude )

Your figure is close. Figure a couple of hundred dollars less.  But
then that includes my leader fee which is double sideman pay on these
gigs. It was for two corporate gigs. We get a few like this every year
and some weddings in this range but they are not the norm.
(unfortunately)

Unlike most bands/leaders on the List I am a professional in the sense
that my band is composed of professionals who work as performing
musicians for their living. They include some of the top jazz
musicians in the Philadelphia area and/or those who know how to please
the general audiences that attend our functions, and/or hire us.

Monetarily we often work at rates well above what the average OKOM
band in the USA gets because we are in the real music world, playing
jazz for general audiences, private parties and weddings in addition
to lesser paying gigs in restaurants, for jazz societies, retirement
homes etc. Our average pay per gig is high enough for me to be a major
booker, if not the major booker, of jazz musicians in my territory.

We also know what our music is worth and  how to negotiate. Some on
the DJML do also. For example, my pal Tom Wiggins booked a great
vacation for Paul Grant (my  1st call trumpet) and me in Israel last
year with his Ambassadors of New Orleans. We got 4 days at a resort in
Eilat on the Red Sea, All Meals, All Travel, door to door including a
limo from JFK airport home etc. No out of pocket expense. (and we
drink  ) Lots of US bands/musicians would have made that gig free
figuring it was a great vacation. Not Wiggins. Paul and I also got a
low 4 figure paycheck for a contract total of 2 hours playing time
because Tom knew what the music was worth and how to negotiate.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

"Judy Eames" wrote:

Steve said,

> Funny you should ask. Last week I played 2 gigs that would cover a
> vacation cruise for my wife and me should I choose to take one.

I can only estimate as I don't know flight prices but if what Steve
says is
accurate each of his gigs must have paid him personally somewhere near

Jude