[Dixielandjazz] Page Cavavaugh NY Times Obit

JBruno868 at aol.com JBruno868 at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 12:10:31 PST 2008

Yes, I went also many times to hear him and his  group when I was in the
area. Very nice, old tunes but good musicians. They  played at the Sweet & Hot one
year also.

Jazz Hugs

Judie

In a message dated 12/25/2008 12:01:24 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
dingle at nomadinter.net writes:

Stephen  G Barbone wrote:
> December 25, 2008 - NY Times - by Associated  Press
> Page Cavanaugh, Leader of Jazz Trio, Dies at 86
I remember  that Jean and I used to go hear him frequently at a small
room on Ventura  Blvd. in Studio City or VanNuys area in the 60's before
I relocated to  Chicago. He had two 'bones, a bari sax, and full rhythm
section and they  plated a lot of Ernie Wilkins. Neal Hefti numbers alla
Basie - and all  were studio  guys that played the weekend gig with him
when not  recording.  Simply perfect blend of horns and tasty piano, and
the  "joint was jumpin" when they played.
There were a lot of heavy hitter  players in the audience and they were
never disappointed.
I truly  admired his solo and ensemble work at that time. Had not heard
much of him  since leaving the L.A. area, but those memories of that gig
stick.
I  felt a little bit of my youth slip away when  read that obit here in a
Michigan paper.
Pushing 78 makes me happy to see my oen name absent  from obits, but
always sad to hear that other good players have left us.  They certainly
made our time on this planet worth having good ears and a  sense of taste,
Happy New Year -- and let's all stick around for  awhile,eh!
Don  Ingle