[Dixielandjazz] Page Cavavaugh NY Times Obit

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Thu Dec 25 11:38:28 PST 2008

Stephen G Barbone wrote:
> December 25, 2008 - NY Times - by Associated Press
> Page Cavanaugh, Leader of Jazz Trio, Dies at 86
I remember that Jean and I used to go hear him frequently at a small
room on Ventura Blvd. in Studio City or VanNuys area in the 60's before
I relocated to Chicago. He had two 'bones, a bari sax, and full rhythm
section and they plated a lot of Ernie Wilkins. Neal Hefti numbers alla
Basie - and all were studio  guys that played the weekend gig with him
when not recording.  Simply perfect blend of horns and tasty piano, and
the "joint was jumpin" when they played.
There were a lot of heavy hitter players in the audience and they were
never disappointed.
I truly admired his solo and ensemble work at that time. Had not heard
much of him since leaving the L.A. area, but those memories of that gig
stick.
I felt a little bit of my youth slip away when  read that obit here in a
Michigan paper.
Pushing 78 makes me happy to see my oen name absent from obits, but
always sad to hear that other good players have left us. They certainly
made our time on this planet worth having good ears and a sense of taste,
Happy New Year -- and let's all stick around for awhile,eh!
Don Ingle