[Dixielandjazz] For Ron Wheeler

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Tue Dec 23 12:05:39 PST 2008

Ron, I tried to answer your private email, but was bounced twice!  Dunno
why.  Anyway, excuse me, everyone, for using DJML as a conduit for this
post.......

>Was that your first time back in Morocco since playing at our Marine
>Corps Ball in Kenitra, Jim?  Must have been '65 or '66.

Yes, it was. I was never too anxious to go back as I didn't like all the
kids grabbing on to you & trying to take you into shops.  As it turns out,
there was none of that in Marrakech.  If anyone did ask you for money or
anything, a flat out "no" & they literally disappeared!
We had a great time.

There was a duo at the hotel...good singer & a drummer, backed by bass,
piano,strings, brass, vocals, etc., on a machine.  Shame, but I guess it's
down to economics.  I spoke to them, and they said they used to have a 5
piece band, but can't get gigs for that many people now.  The were
Bulgarian.  She sang very well in English, and both could speak English
quite well.  They did a few jazz tunes after hearing of my
background....Bye, Bye Blackbird, Honeysuckle Rose, etc.  Very enjoyable.

Jim