[Dixielandjazz] Soloing next

billsharp sharp-b at clearwire.net
Mon Dec 15 17:30:06 PST 2008

Gene Hovland said:  "Question:  Improvising a solo is easier if I am
the 1st soloist after the
ensemble plays.
I have the slide in motion and the musical phrasing happens
automatically.
If I am the 2nd or 3rd soloist, my solo phrasing is not as good until I
get
into the solo.
What is the best thinking process while waiting to solo so it has a good
clean start?

Gene"

Easy answer--just remember what your solo would have been, had you been
first!  ( Also, keep your slide in motion while waiting to play, since
that seems to be your stated "secret" to your soloing - -though it may
just just make you look like you are nervously fidgeting)

Bill-"being smart aleck again"-Sharp
We have enough youth.
How about a fountain of smart?