[Dixielandjazz] Almost good players

David Richoux tubaman at tubatoast.com
Sun Dec 14 13:36:30 PST 2008

Ken, as Jim says, the question is interesting, but it depends so much
on the situation. In my case, I am a tuba player with almost 30 years
experience in both semi-structured jazz bands (pretty much regular
personnel, some arrangements for songs, but not too many with all
notes written out, banjo - drums - bass rhythm section) and "pick-up
bands" or substitute work with a variety of local bands, and a pretty
good ear for playing songs I don't know well. I get a lot of favorable
comments on my playing from many of the musicians I work with and also
from audience members.

Having said all that - it really depends on all of the variables that
makes a song cook or sink! If I am concentrating on keeping the chords
and beat doing what they should, on a song I only heard once on a
record, I don't necessarily want to take a solo chorus! On some other
song a tuba solo would possibly be great and I will try to fit one in.
It all depends...

Regarding tone and clams - stuff happens and nobody is perfect. If I
am keeping the rhythm strong and miss one minor passing note I am not
going to worry about it too much. If I am responsible for playing a
note that is a major part of the arrangement - I worry about it! There
have been times when the lead-off phrase is done in the wrong key (not
usually my fault ;-) and the whole song is suddenly very challenging!
The really good musicians know how to recover and make the song work
without the audience even realizing there was a problem.

But I am rambling...

Dave Richoux