[Dixielandjazz] Youth Dixieland Festival

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 10 10:48:39 PST 2008

Hey Kay:

The Mission Bay site is wonderful.

I guess what excites me about these bands and the High School Programs
they represent, is that they form, and flourish, at a time when many
of us are dejected and negative because of lack of funding for the
arts from  Federal, State and Local Governments.

What also excites me is that the EBTDS has expanded its youth
Dixieland Bands from one, the Jazzinators, to at least 3 or 4 now. In
just a little over a year.

It is a living proof that we don't need such funding to succeed. What
we need is to get involved in an activist way, to grow a new young
audience to the music. Lots of ways to do this, from teaching and
forming the bands, to getting them paying gigs in front of their age
group peers.

BTW, I still think there are 10,000 musicians who play OKOM in the
USA, either full or part time. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband