[Dixielandjazz] A historical question --Money Moulder

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 4 21:14:37 PST 2008

Norman Vickers asked, following a query he has received:

Norman's questioner then said [in part]:
> I wondered if it could be that it was a mould that would be used to
> make
> money - in which case it would be a very fine gift!
> In this connection, I wondered if there was ever a money making
> factory in
> Pensacola?

Dear Norman,
The specific verse [below] is from Mississippi John Hurt's "Nobody's
Dirty Business"
issued on Okeh 8560 and recorded in New York on 14 Feb 1928.
(I have this on LP and the words he sings are quite clearly "money
moulder'.)

"Some of these mornin's gonna wake up boozy
Gonna grab my gun, gonna kill old Suzie
Ain't nobody's business but mine
Goin' back to Pensacola, goin' to buy my babe a money moulder
Nobody's business but my own."

The 'money moulder' reference has indeed intrigued blues scholars and
it has been suggested that it
relates to Southern plantation money from the slave days.
Refer to
   http://weeniecampbell.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4932.msg37716
for more information and pics of plantation money moulders.
Kind regards,
Bill.