[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Sokiaan

Ron Wheeler ronald_wheeler at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 4 16:00:47 PST 2008

Good old Wikipedia...    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skokiaan

Glazer's unwitting condescension seems to have been lost on Louis Armstrong,
who in August 1954 recorded "Skokiaan" in two parts with Sy Oliver's
Orchestra in New York (Decca 29256). Part 1 (the A side) is a purely
instrumental version, while Part 2 (side B) has Armstrong singing the
lyrics.[28] (Despite authoritative claims[6] [29] that Armstrong recorded a
version entitled "Happy Africa", this could not so far be substantiated from
his discography.)[30] On his tour of Africa, Armstrong met Musarurwa in
November 1960. Whether the two musicians jammed together[31], or whether
Armstrong just gave Musarurwa a jacket,[32] is unclear. In any case, the
difference between the date that Armstrong recorded "Skokiaan" and the date
of his meeting with Musarurwa appears to invalidate claims that Armstrong
recorded "Skokiaan" after he came face to face with the Zimbabwean.

Ron Wheeler