[Dixielandjazz] Jimmy Cleveland

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 30 13:55:01 PDT 2008

> Bill Haesler <bhaesler at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
>
> Now, now James. Not even a smiley? Until Jimmy Cleveland's name came
> up as a DJML thread the other day, I  had never heard of him. And
> I've been listening to jazz from 1944-45 and very actively  involved
> as a discographer/collector with it, without interruption, since
> 1948. As the discussion progressed, I decided to check out the list
> of all   Mr Cleveland's recordings starting from his first in 1950
> with Lionel Hampton. There are about 500 sessions!I then checked to
> see how many I had in my very extensive jazz record collection. The
> 1959 Billie Verves.So it looks as though, along with our mate Marek,
> I too don't know  "exactly what jazz is". 8>)
> Very kind regards,
> Bill.

Dear Bill:

What? Not much Jimmy Cleveland in your collection? Little wonder since
most of what Mr Cleveland put down is "modern jazz", but jazz never-
the-less.

Is your eye patch showing? <grin>

Check out:  (NOT OKOM) but also MKOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUAfV7VtsCo

Jimmy Cleveland, Bill Evans, pno;  Art Farmer, trumpet;  Gene Quill,
alto; & Ed Thigpen dms.

OR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d50kGmSY2Gw

(Hear Cleveland's improv at about 8 minutes in)

Cannonball Adderely, Alto; Nat Adderly, tpt, Jimmy Cleveland, Mundell
Low, gui; Billy Taylor, pno; Ed Safranski, bs; Ed Thigpen dms.

Jimmy Cleveland was IMO a monster trombonist who followed the stylist
advances of J. J. Johnson.

Clips are from an early TV program entitled "The Subject Is Jazz".
Circa late 1950s. Produced by pianist Billy Taylor.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband