[Dixielandjazz] Dave Frishberg - Was - For some great reading

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 30 13:25:19 PDT 2008

> From: "Robert Ringwald" <rsr at ringwald.com> wrote:
>
> Dave Frishberg
>
> www.DaveFrishberg.net

For those who might have read his biography,  I would add:

Circa late 1950s early 60s Dave was very active in the jazz scene in
the New York City metropolitan area. And, among other genres, he was
playing Dixieland.

Dave played, regularly with Ken Butterfield's Beale Street Stompers
for about a year. That band was:

Carl Wilhelm - trombone (went on to become principal trombone
Pittsburgh symphony)

Ken Butterfield - Trumpet (went on to a very successful law career on
Long Island)

Steve Barbone - clarinet (retired from his day gig in 1992 and has
played with the Barbone Street Jazz Band in Philadelphia area ever
since).

Dick Sherman - Drums - (retired from a successful Law career on Long
Island and has played Dixieland every Thursday for the past 40 years
at the Donnell Branch N.Y. C public Library with folks like Ed Polcer,
James Lincoln Collier et al.

Chuck Traeger - Bass - (was house bassist at Nick's in NYC, played
with Condon, Bechet, Bunk Johnson, Pee Wee Erwin & Russell, Wilber et
al. Wrote a highly acclaimed book on bass repair and bass sound
production. Retired in Yulan NY)

Dave Frishberg - piano. ( a wonderful jazz pianist at the time,
Dixieland and straight ahead, now a very successfully song writer in
California, or  maybe Oregon?)

Dave was a great Dixieland pianist who put some modern touches into
the mix much to our delight. He was also a wonderful person, great
sense of humor, with a desire to make his living in musical performance.

Dick, Ken and I went to Law School together back then besides working
Friday and Saturday nights at the Melody Lounge in NYC from 9 PM to
3:30AM and other gigs on Sundays and Wednesdays.

Ah youth. <grin>

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband