[Dixielandjazz] A New Spin On Jazz - Kid Koala

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 28 12:17:32 PDT 2008

You are welcome Janie. No doubt some (many?) will not like it. Main
reason I posted it was because of the creativity of Kid Koala in
putting it  all together. That plus previous DJML discussions about
what instruments can play jazz and a general trend towards believing
that any instrument can play jazz. Thus, scratching records, and
taking sounds from others certainly seems to me to be a qualifying
instrument.

Also, this may be just the tip of the iceberg. Who knows how far some
creative groove scratcher might take it.

In that case, all the music already exists on records. No need to play
any more. Just pick some existing sounds, put them together and go for
it.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

On Aug 28, 2008, at 12:06 PM, Janie McCue Lynch wrote:

> Steve--that video is great.....love it.
>
> Have to admit the "sound" of the music in and of itself wasn't
> really to my
> taste, and I'm sure won't be to most of the folks on this list, but
> the
> "process" of creating it was fascinating, as was the article on Kid
> Koala.
>

> Thanks for posting it!
>
> Jane Lynch
> Janie39 at socal.rr.com
>
> Amazing what one finds on the internet. Check out this version of
> Basin Street Blues done by a DJ with turntables and record clips.
> Damn!!  The possibilities are endless and the DJs are on the cutting
> edge. <grin>.
>
> The video is at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItYp6ctPGI8, the story
> below.

Steve Barbone