[Dixielandjazz] Arthur Godfrey

Don Robertson jdrobertson at att.net
Mon Aug 25 09:16:47 PDT 2008

With all the discussion on Arthur Godfrey, probably everyone knows of
the infamous incident where he fired singer Julius LaRosa on the air.
Something about "humility"; I heard Julius wanted or tried to get a
piece of the action at Archie Blyers'  Cadence Records.

Arthur either discovered or at least featured a female singing group (I
think a quartet) called the Chordettes.  They did barbershop type
harmony.  They had a least one big hit, Mr. Sandman.  We had a female
bluegrass band here in the bay area called Sidesaddle  In fact their
bass player Karen Quick was a listmate in the early days of DJML; Bob
Ringwald probably remembers her.  Anyway, Sidesaddle had a hilarious
parody on Mr. Sandman, called Mr. Soundman.  I don't remembers the
words, but at the end, the highly annoyed  Mr. Soundman cuts them off
mid phrase.  Everyone wanted them to record it, but they said they
couldn't get permission from Archie Blyer's estate.

Don Robertson