[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of Jazz Violin

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 23 18:33:02 PDT 2008

On Aug 23, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Marek Boym wrote:

> There is a small problem with Regina Carter - she sounds the same all
> the time, at least - used to.
> I watched a concert by Regina Carter on Mezzo.  The first two numbers
> sounded great - and all the others sounded the same, so after some 20
> minutes I was bored to death!
> I have at least 30 hours of Grapelly, lots of Venuti and Stuff Smith,
> and have seen the Jonathan Russell videos - and they don't give that
> impression.

Perhaps it is all in the ears of the listener?

Regina Carter is, in my ears, excellent and quite varied.

On the other hand, Grappelli seems, in my ears, to repeat the same, or
very similar general patterns. My favorites are Svend Asmussen and Joe
Venuti. (and Jonathan Russell)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband