[Dixielandjazz] Louis Prima w Butera & Witnesses

Charlie Hull charliehull7920 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 23 07:06:28 PDT 2008

Jack Bryce's mention of the group doing rock and roll reminds me of a
couple of really corny movies they made trying to commercialize on the
R&R boom. Louis, Keely, Sam and the band were the featured actors in
plots which led from one song to another. I have them on VHS tape and am
going to put them on DVD when I get around to it. The plots and acting
were so bad I'm surprised they didn't become cult films. No Oscar
nominations there.

The so-called swing resurgence a few years back had kid bands with crazy
names and costumes doing Prima numbers, most notably Jump, Jive And
Wail. Same song, played with great energy, electronic 'enhancement' and
volume but totally lacking the Prima swing feel and magic. No wonder the
resurgence petered out. It got a lot of young folks into swing dancing,
though.

I last saw Prima with Butera and the Witnesses at Lake Tahoe, shortly
before Louis went into the coma from which he never recovered. What a
dynamic group. I sat through a couple of shows. During the first set I
was impressed by the impromptu humor and quips. Second show, exactly the
same jokes and schtick. So perfectly identical to the first that it
could have been a movie rerun. Great memories.

I have seventeen of their LP's, which include quite a few trad jazz
standards done in the Prima style. According to the biography by Garry
Boulard, Sam Butera did the arrangements and rehearsed the band to its
tight perfection.

Jimmy "Little Red" Blount, the trombonist who replaced Lou Sinoux with
the band, was on the DJML for a short while a few years back, having
retired to Florida.

Charlie Hull