[Dixielandjazz] The "mystery tune" and much more about The Quayside Hot Stompers

Craig I. Johnson civanj at roadrunner.com
Fri Aug 22 19:26:58 PDT 2008

Song title finally solved.
Fred Burnett Preston who maintains the Quayside Hot Stompers web page,
a kind & helpful gentlemen as "Dingo" (John D.) said, when contacted by e-mail
responded:

>The tune is called "Loving", by Clarence Williams. I emailed Barrie (Marshall), the clarinet player with the >band, and he couldn't remember !  Anyway I just had a bright idea, as I recalled I had >downloaded the CD (which incidentally is the same name, Loving, on to my pc, and I discovered >it was the first track, so I've attached it.

(Initially)I could not find that tune in the "Anderson" fake book.Only a tune by the same title
by Gene Rodemich & Jimmy Conzelman. But then looked in redhotjazz.com where I found
the record (no audio) citation for Clarence Williams' Washboard band.The composer was
listed as "Warfield". I then searched composers in "Anderson" and found 3 songs assoc with
Charles Warfield. One being "Baby Won't You Please Come Home",co-authored with Clarence Williams and 2 by Warfield alone: "Down in that Foreign Land" & "Lovin' (Can't Live Without It)."
The latter tune matches what I hear on the Quayside web page & the track Fred sent me.
I now have a lead sheet for the tune copied from "Anderson."
The sheet I copied also points out that Warfield also wrote: "I Ain't Got Nobody"

The CD to which Fred alludes above is
"Lovin' - The Music of Clarence Williams"  -  PEK label released in 2003
- clips of which may be reviewed at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~jazzworld/quaydemo.htm
Including a vocal version of "Breeze." by Delia Glaister.
The whole band is a pleasure to listen to, but, as a fellow cornet player,
myself I must point out that I found Alan Duckles a very tasty player,
especially on the mystery tune "Loving."

Also, unfortunately the song "Last Mile Blues" is not among the samples..
This is a tune of which I've not heard before.
However I found there is a video of that tune, by them
at: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1700541382596805579

and as John McClernan pointed out previously there is a video of
the band playing "Black Cat On A Fence" at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A96X7TK3dOg

There is a video of them playing Dusty Rag
     ("Doosty Rag" to Black Eagles fans) -(Hi Tony)
at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A96X7TK3dOg
one for "Burgundy Street Blues" (clarinet by Barrie Marshall) at:
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-5473813328536833879
and "Blues My Naughty Sweetie....."
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-2528617196235861401&hl=en

I'm sorry to hear that they lost their vocalist, Delia Glaister.

Regards to all.
(& Fred, please send this to the fellows in Quayside who have e-mail)

Craig Johnson
Cornet - "The Maine Street Paraders"
               Kennebunk, Maine