[Dixielandjazz] Movie Cameras for U tube

andy.ling at quantel.com andy.ling at quantel.com
Fri Aug 22 02:24:23 PDT 2008

Larry Walton wrote on 22/08/2008 06:15:52:

> I'm getting ready to buy a movie camera and don't want to spend over
> $500 if I can keep from it.  I would prefer one that had an SD chip
> if possible and be compatible with my new HD TV.  I primarily want
> it to do videos for U tube.

I can't give much specific advice, but what I would say is this.
The quality of video required by YouTube can be produced by the
cheapest, lowest spec camera around. (As proved by your grandson
using the movie mode of your still camera) So I would not put this
requirement high on your list. Any half decent camera will
do.

What may be more important for YouTube is video editing software.

Things you might want to consider are whether you want one of
the newer High Definition (HD) cameras or an older Standard
definition (SD). If you go HD then there are three main
resolutions around. These are 720p, 1080i and 1080p. The
first two are most common the later is newer and requires
more storage.

Have a look at this site it might help navigate the mass
of jargon :-

http://www.simplydv.co.uk/index.php

If you want help on some of the technology, let me know. I know
very little about specific cameras, but know quite a bit about
the technology behind them. (If you check out the Quantel
web site you'll understand why :-)

Hope that helps

Andy Ling

--

Quantel is the trade name used by Quantel Holdings Limited and its
subsidiaries.  Quantel Holdings Limited is registered in England & Wales.