[Dixielandjazz] Speaking of Jazz Violin...

Tamas Ittzes bohem at fibermail.hu
Tue Aug 19 12:29:22 PDT 2008

Bob Romans wrote:

> She's Hungarian, and beautiful too!
> Inspired by Grappeill
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF9uQI-SRv4&feature=related

Yes, Bob, and she was my classmate at the Music Academy twenty years
ago. Many of the classically trained dudes from our class eneded up
doing only jazz or mostly pop. Well, I'm still in the classical
"business", too. Katica is a good violinist, singer and dancer, the
audience loves her. She doesn't improvise though, every bit oh her show
is well put together. You can discover our trombone player, Attila Korb
in the background, by the way.

It's always an ongoing debate among jazz musicians if these kind of
players (like Katica) promote or ruin jazz music. IMHO they are
promoting it. She is well above the average quality and she does sounds
jazzy although, as I said, everything is written down and well-rehearsed
thousand times. Just a simply professional show.

Tamas

Tamas ITTZES
violin teacher, ragtime pianist, festival organizer
Bohem Ragtime Jazz Band
Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Mailing address: H-6001 KECSKEMET, Pf. 652., Hungary
Phone: +36(20)82-447-82
E-mails: tamas at bohemragtime.com, bohem at fibermail.hu
Web site: http://www.bohemragtime.com