[Dixielandjazz] Dudley Fosdick addendum

Don Ingle dingle at nomadinter.net
Sun Aug 17 20:23:04 PDT 2008

Dave - and other lurkers:
RE: Dudley Fosdick.
Dudley also spent a few years with the Ted Weems band at the same time
my dad was with it. In fact on one take, "That's What I Like About You,
there is a chorus of swapped eighth bar solos, with the bridge played,
ala Venuti-Lang trio with Red Ingle on violin, guitarist Cliff Covert,
and Joe " Country" Washburn on bass. Dudley was also on several other
Weems sides ca. 1933-34  before he went to Lombardo. He also worked with
Hoagy Carmichael. He had a brother, Gene Fosdick, who was an excellent
tenor sax man and band leader. Both were from Indiana, and a good
reference is found in Duncan Scheidt's excellent book, "The Jazz State
of Indiana." Much good jazz history well presented here, and great photos.
Don Ingle