[Dixielandjazz] Jonathan Russell, Wynton Marsalis & Lincoln Center Jazz Band

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 14 19:45:38 PDT 2008

"Always be ready" was a favorite saying of Thelonious Monk, "because
you never know what may happen. Yeah, like your big time might be
right around the corner."

That just happened with 13 year old jazz violinist Jonathan Russell.
He will be appearing with Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz
Band at Rose Hall, Lincoln Center, NYC on the evenings of November 6,
7, and 8. The program is called Nursery Song Swing and revolves around
young people and jazz. "J" will be joining one of the winners of this
year's Duke Ellington competition for high school students, Wynton
Marsalis, and the LCJB. Full 6 hour rehearsal on November 5.  For
details see
http://www.jalc.org/concerts/details.asp?EventID=1584

The gig came out of the blue, although there were several people who
had contacted Lincoln Center and Wynton about young Jonathan starting
a couple of years ago. If you were one of them, thank you.

Starting time is 8 PM and the programs will be broadcast on XM
Satellite radio. If you are in the area and want to see the programs,
tickets are from $80 to $120, so as you might imagine, LCJB is paying
him a pretty good buck for the gig. I'll pass on more details about
songs and program content etc., as they become available.

If that ticket price is too rich for you, and you want to hear "J"
with a jazz band in Pennsylvania, write me for details about his
upcoming gigs with us. (The Barbone Street Jazz Band)

August 24 - Hershey's Mill -  1500 Greenhill Road - West Chester PA  7
to 8:30 PM FREE

Sept 6 - Laurels Equestrian Event, Landhope Farms, Woodview Rd, West
Grove PA Noon to 3 PM

Sept 7 - Laurels Equestrian Event, Landhope Farms, Woodview Rd. West
Grove PA noon to 3 PM

Admission is free to the Laurels, but it costs $10 to park a car so
load it up with friends. The Event is a 3 day combined Driving Event
for horses and carriages and includes all sorts of other attractions
including the Barbone Street Jazz Band, Dog (Terrier) Races, Boutique
Shopping, Antique Cars etc.
Event runs from 8 AM to about 4 PM.

Even though these gigs are priced right, we pay Jonathan a pretty good
buck too, but I think LCJB just took away our status as a top payer.
<grin>

As for Jonathan . . . If you're listening, BREAK A LEG.

As for Jonathan's fans (including me) . . . how lucky we are to be
able to watch this talented young man develop. What a fantastic
experience that is.

As for Wynton . . . hey man, trade 8's, 4's and 2's with him. He knock
you out.

As for all the festival promoters, concert promoters, and such. . .
Grab this young man while you can afford him. He is the ideal choice
if you are marketing to YOUNG people. (or trying to) And at the same
time, old folks just adore him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband