[Dixielandjazz] Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 68, Issue 15

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 13 15:51:29 PDT 2008

> From: "Paul Gorelick" <drpag at flash.net> wrote
>
> In Levy sheet music, he says that a song written in 1928 is
> protected.  Why
> when a copyright exists for 70 years after the death of the original
> writer.
> 1928 plus 70 equals 1998.  It should not be protected unless I'm
> reading it
> wrong.  Paul

Paul & List Mates:

That 70 year after death law only applies to songs written after
1/1/1978. Here a summary of the current US Copyright Law:

United States Copyright Law
US copyright law is found in Title 17 of the United States Code and is
administered by the US Copyright Office.   " Terms for Copyright
Protection", a U.S. Government publication, summarizes the current
duration of copyright protection for published works as follows:

Works created after 1/1/1978  -  life of the longest surviving author
plus 70 years -  earliest possible PD date is 1/1/2048

Works registered before 1/1/1978  -  95 years from the date copyright
was secured.

Works registered before 1/1/1923 - Copyright protection for 75 years
has expired and these works are in the public domain. (This was the
Old law that was modified as below in 1998. At the time of its
modification by Sonny Bono, copyright protection for songs written
before 1923 had already expired)

The Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act was signed into law on
October 27, 1998.  Prior to the Sonny Bono 20 year copyright term
extension, copyright protection for works registered before 1/1/1978
was 75 years; therefore, compositions registered in 1922 or earlier
entered the public domain on 1/1/1998.  The 1998 copyright extension
did not extend copyright protection from 75 to 95 years for songs
already in the public domain so . .

The Good News -  works published in the United States in 1922 or
earlier are in the public domain even if  they are not yet 95 years old.

The Bad News - no new works will enter the public domain until January
1, 2019.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband