[Dixielandjazz] The Shermans and Hermans

Robert Newman bobngaye at surewest.net
Fri Aug 8 12:23:20 PDT 2008

Years ago when we were at the L.A. Classic festival I heard this in a conversation in the musicians' lounge.

Ray Sherman's and Woody Herman's families lived next door when Ray and Woody were kids.    The parents were very close friends.

Coincidentally,  the mothers each  had another baby boy.    So in honor of their friendship, the Shermans named their new baby Herman Sherman, and the Hermans named theirs Sherman Herman.   Now that's a really human story from Newman about the Shermans and Hermans.