[Dixielandjazz] Charleston

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Tue Aug 5 23:37:08 PDT 2008

My old music teacher (born in 1908 and long gone), who was playing in jazz
bands in the 1920's, once told me that when the young people of the day
asked for a Charleston, they meant the Charleston rhythm to dance to. They
actually much prefered the tune "Five Foot Two" or maybe "Yes, Sir, That's
My Baby" played with a Charleston beat to the actual tune "The Charleston."

Spike Jones recorded a nice track of "The Charleston." They had fun with it,
but it definitely showed they could play good hot dance music when they
cared to do so.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.