[Dixielandjazz] Ban on Musicians

John McClernan mcclernan1 at comcast.net
Sun Apr 27 15:48:34 PDT 2008

Hi Pat,
I wanted to take a band to England in 1984. I had made some contacts
while I was there in 1983 and I calculated we would have at the very
least enough performances in various shires to cover our travel and
lodging expenses, except for tourist-type travel on our own. Another
band member had a contact in Coventry and another at Ronnie Scott's.
So that would have also helped our finances. Well, we tried every
avenue we could to get a work permit, but the union would not allow
it unless we could guarantee in writing an equal number of gigs in
the states for a UK band, AND we had to find a UK band that would
agree to do it.

Bottom line? We went any way, played all the gigs except anything in
or near London (no Ronnie Scott's of course) and didn't tell the
union. At immigration we said the instruments were for family parties
around the kitchen table. Most everyone came on a separate flight, on
separate days (not by design), so they didn't see a band arrive
together. We had a great time, many memorable moments and were very
well received. Would like to go back and do it again sometime, but
all my (our) contacts are gone. Wouldn't know where to start to plan
another tour like that.

I did go over last summer with my family, but that was for a tour of
Scotland and to see the Fringe Festival and the Military Tattoo in
Edinburgh. A good OKOM band could make a decent killing at the
Festival, playing on the street. Some of the entertainment I saw was
good, others were quite lame. Too many mimes, too many people
pretending to be statues, etc. A boy of about 13 or 14 years old was
playing trumpet, by himself, and reading out of a book on a music
stand. He didn't play well and didn't read well, but his bucket was
filling up with coins and bills, as we watched in amazement. I asked
for a request - Hello Dolly. He looked in the index of the book and
then shook his head and said he didn't know it.

Cheers,
John
-------
"Never look at the trombones.