[Dixielandjazz] Ban on Musicians

pj.ladd pj.ladd at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 27 09:12:09 PDT 2008

The ban was indeed an idiocy of the Musicians' Union,>>

Presumably this was the same sort of reasoning which allowed us to have
visiting band leaders but not their bands.  Although this no doubt did
provide employment for British musicians it meant that we didnt hear the
great sidesmen which were often as much a feature of the big bands as the
leader.

I remember also being unable to place an order for `Downbeat` unless I could
prove I was a professional musician. Presumably to preserve  the UK`s
extremely limited foreign trading reserves.

Cheers

Pat