[Dixielandjazz] Exposure: - was musicians get what they deserve.

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 27 12:51:11 PDT 2008

Dear Listmates

How many times have we heard, "But think of the exposure." Wowee, if
we old folks get any more exposure, our skin will fall off.

Want to mentor the kid bands about exposure? Here are 14 websites that
will get them more exposure than 1000 free gigs. While we old folks
are not hip to using the web, except for a few, it is truly amazing
that today's kids would not be hip to networking on the internet. Must
be that right brain dominance. (All creative and no business sense)

BTW, list mate band leaders/musos may want to take advantage of some
of the below too. They are where EXPOSURE is.

Yeah it will take a little effort to strut your stuff but it sure as
hell beats bitching about no gigs, free gigs, no audience, etc. There
is a large, brave new world out there. Carpe Diem.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestrteetjazzband

1. Myspace.com - we've said enough about that on the DJML

2. Facebook.com - Facebook is a social utility that connects you with
the people around you. Upload photos • get the latest news from your
friends • post videos on your profile • tag your friends • use privacy
settings to control who sees your info • join a network to see people
who
live, study, or work around you, promote your shows.

3. 15secondpitch.com helps you define your 15-second marketing pitch
and makes you found in Google searches.You can also make your own
business cards customized with your pitch and photo.

4. Flickr.com is almost certainly the best online photo management and
sharing application in the world. Their 3 main goals: 1. to help folkd
make
photos available to the people who matter to them. 2. to enable new
ways of organizing photos. Start a page and link to others using their
social networking tools.

5. Upcoming.com is a directory of all events that are going on
nationwide with connections to Yahoo groups and Flickr. This site,
visited by millions is owned by Yahoo.

6. iLike.com - Music of the people, by the people. They invite every
music lover to participate in a more democratic music industry. By
rating,
recommending, or just listening to music, you'll have an impact on
what gets
recommended in the marketplace. Also works with Facebook.

7. JamBase.com - A web portal for all things related to seeing live
music
featuring reviews and touring schedules for thousands of artists. Sign
up,  post your schedule.

8. ReverbNation.com - Designed for musicians. Stats and information
on your fan base help you make decisions on where to tour and how
effectively you are growing your business. Keep your schedule current
and export  it to your other sites - imagine only having to enter
shows one time for all your web locations!

9. Ning.com is an Internet service that allows you to create a social
network for anything. Ning was founded by Marc Andreesen (Netscape
founder) and Gina Bianchini (Harmonix founder).  75,000+ social
networks run on Ning. Start your own.

10. imeem.com is an online community where musicians, & fans can
promote everything, Photos, Albums, Videos, Music, Blogs, Groups,
People, and playlists.

11. linkedin.com is a business-oriented networking site mainly used for
professional networking. Get on this site because, as a professional
artists, we need to be making serious contacts to advance our careers.
It has over 16 million registered users, spanning 150 industries.

12. Twitter.com – a micro blogging site that answers one simple
question:
What Are You Doing?  You post your answers to it.

13. del.icio.us is a social bookmarking website that is a collection
of favorites - yours and everyone else's. You can use del.icio.us to
keep links to your favorite articles, blogs, music, reviews,etc. Share
favorites with anyone, and the del.icio.us community. And they've
already done the work of finding it. So del.icio.us is full of
bookmarks about technology, entertainment, and more. You can use tags
to organize and remember your bookmarks, which is a much more flexible
system than folders.

14. Amazon.com -  Create a profile in one of the most visited sites on
the net and get found by search engines like Google. Make lists of
your favorite, music (include your own CD and review yourself!), and
much more.