[Dixielandjazz] Humph & Bechet &

John Petters jdpetters at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 27 11:31:57 PDT 2008

ROBERT R. CALDER wrote:
> Sometime not too long ago, Humph reminisced a little
> on radio about Bechet,  who commented professionally
> and appreciatively about the Lyttelton band, approving
> Wally Fawkes etc.

Paul Barnes played 'Georgia' from the Bechet session on his show last
night. He devoted the last hour of the show as a moving tribute to
Humph. as well as the Bechert track, he palyed an early record by George
Webb's Dixielanders as well as a selection of others from across the
years. What was apparent was the great phrasing, tone and timing Humph
brought to the music.

Catch Paul's tribute for the next seven days at:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/norfolk/aod.shtml?norfolk/paul_barnes_norfolk

For those who have not heard Humph in comedy mode, listen to the
hilarious 'I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue' on BBC Radio 4 An episode from
1995 is on the 'Listen Again' site at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radio4_aod.shtml?radio4/cluespecial

Cheers
--