[Dixielandjazz] DJ Getting What Musicians Always Get

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Apr 26 14:23:40 PDT 2008

what do you want to bet that the hotels will charge them for that
eventually ----------

One of the reasons people hire bands as well as DJ's is to have a PA
available and to MC various events during the wedding and to more or less
play what they want at a given time.  The problem with an Ipod is that you
would have to work it yourself or have someone sit there and watch that.

I'm pretty sure this will kill the low end wedding reception for even the
DJ's but the higher end weddings and dances won't want to do all that.  At
least I don't think so.

DJ's are getting pretty pricy here.  As I pointed out sometime earlier my
wife's brother paid $650 (3 hrs) for a DJ for his wedding reception.  A
couple of days ago I was booking my Duo for a picnic and I was trying to get
an extra $50 out of the client for the extra PA needed.  The lady didn't
know if she could swing the $50 because she had hired a DJ for the day
before for $50 more than I was asking!  We got the extra $50.

People like to watch other people play music, make the fingers wiggle and
interact with them so there will always be a place for real people but that
market is still shrinking while the population is getting larger and a whole
lot more price conscious.  Now that gas is going up again it will even be
more difficult to make a buck in the music business.

My guys are starting to ask for gas money for gigs that never paid gas money
before.  I have gigs booked that really didn't take that into consideration
when they were booked.  I think what's going to happen is that there will be
a reaction against hiring music or still want to pay the same amount as
always.  It was tough enough to get money out of them before and it's going
to get much more difficult I think in the near future.
Larry
STL