[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Educators

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Fri Apr 25 15:13:08 PDT 2008

Larry Walton told us about his teacher 'way back when.  Interesting!

My first piano teacher (George Abell, 62 years ago) was selected by my parents because he:

    a.) Would come to the house for my weekly lesson (mom did not have an available car, as Dad took it to work every day).

    b.) Charged $1.25 for a one-hour lesson

    c.) Had an earlier career as the pianist in a silent-movie house

He taught me to play from lead sheets, one of which he would create from memory to conclude each lesson.

Been doing it ever since...

Larry Swain

(Backup piano player of last resort, Boston area)