[Dixielandjazz] Humphrey Lyttelton

Brian Harvey brer.rabbit at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Apr 25 15:02:03 PDT 2008

Report from the BBC

Veteran jazz musician and radio host Humphrey Lyttelton has died aged 86.
The chairman of BBC Radio 4's comedy panel show I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue
recently had surgery in an attempt to repair an aortic aneurysm.
The latest series of the quiz programme was cancelled after Lyttelton was
admitted to Barnet Hospital in north London on 16 April.
"Humph" retired from hosting Radio 2's The Best of Jazz last month after
more than 40 years presenting the show.
Lyttelton hosted I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue - the "self-styled antidote to
panel games" - since 1972, appearing alongside regulars Graeme Garden, Barry
Cryer and Tim Brooke-Taylor.
In 1993, he received a Sony Gold Award for services to broadcasting.
Lyttelton began playing the trumpet in 1936 and was still touring with his
band up until his admission to hospital.
Best known for the song Bad Penny Blues, they became the first British jazz
act to enter the top 20 in 1956.
He was honoured with a lifetime achievement award at both the Post Office
British Jazz Awards in 2000 and at the first BBC Jazz Awards in 2001.

He was a fine man and a brilliant musician - Brian Harvey

Checked by AVG.
19:16