[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Educators

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 23 20:31:59 PDT 2008

And in the really "old days," parading musicians would have young boys
carrying their instrument cases alongside the parade in exchange for a music
lesson or just out of hero worship. The "second line."

Try to get a neighborhood parade organized now. You need a wheelbarrow full
of money just for the permits (including bribes to the permit writing
officials).

And when is the last time a side musician in a band had a student on the
stand with him to learn how the real world works? That's what my teacher did
for me - the leader trusted him (and me) to give me good instructions and to
keep me out of the way of the real members of the band.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.