[Dixielandjazz] FW: Madrid's Jazz Scene as seen by the NY Times

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Apr 21 01:36:02 PDT 2008

Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Madrid's Jazz Scene as seen by the NY Times
NY TIMES - April 20, 2008 - By ANDREW FERREN  From Jazz to Fusion, Late and
Live in Madrid

Well, those on DJML shouldn't have to resort to reading the NY Times to know
about the nite life in Madrid.  I've been telling everyone about it for
years.  We play in a number of the clubs mentioned on the list with an
average of 10 nites worth of club gigs a month all year long.  Tack on our
private gigs for companies & weddings, plus city sponsored concerts all over
Spain, and one can see why I have a lot to give thanks for.  Everyone in the
band can get to most gigs with a 10 minute drive from their home.

Ok, it means sometimes really loud joints (some are rock venues with huge
racks of speakers and millions of floodlights).  It ALWAYS means late, hot,
& smokey nites.

What the NY Times guy didn't mention is that a lot of the clubs on that list
only pay the bands a percentage of the door....something we don't get
involved in.  We have a set price that we stick to, so we won't be seen at
all those places on the list.

Jim (no complaints!) Kash