[Dixielandjazz] Cartoon Music

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 20 08:00:48 PDT 2008

> "Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com>  wrote
>
> Ahem, a band that can play the type of music that was used in some
> cartoons.  But certainly not a band that plays "cartoon music."

Aw come on Bob , lighten up. The only reason many diss "cartoon music"
is that they insist on using it as a pejorative term. Note the below
from http://www.cartoonresearch.com/gerstein/cartoonmusic/  Then also
note if you pursue the website further, you will find that "Darktown
Strutters Ball" was used to make points in "Trader Mickey"  and
"Showing Off"  in the 1930s. There is a hell of a lot more socio-
cultural history that goes along with "cartoon music" then most folks
realize.

For the copyright mavins, note the "fair use" disclaimer at the upper
right of the page.

Cheers,
Steve barbone
www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

Who doesn't remember classic cartoons?

Warner, Disney, MGM, Columbia, Fleischer, Lantz; name a studio, and
your eye recalls the images, your brain the actions and personalities
of favorite cartoon characters. From Bugs Bunny's hat dance with "El
Toro" to Donald Duck's fanny-wagging ballet on the ice, animated
images were built to last by their artists and storymen.

Same goes for those animated melodies.

No, really: rewatch a cartoon you've seen before, and your ears may
well recall the background score before your eyes recall the visuals.
Quite a feat for mere accompaniment to be so memorable. You know the
tunesof Bugs and the bull, of Donald in winter, almost as if they were
written to hold an audience on their own.

And so they were.

In truth, the tunes of these old cartoons are memorable because they
were the popular music of the 1920s and before: the drinking songs,
the minstrel reels, the cultural memories that filled animators' lives
behind the screen. Lives that we today have lost touch with; for
excepting classic cartoons, yesterday's cultural memories sadly fill
today's memory hole.

It's time to reclaim the past. Cartoon music holds a history waiting
for us to rediscover, love, hate, and learn from, and that's the goal
of this page. Starting with classic songs as we know them from
cartoons and cartoon spin-offs, I'll move outward to show you the
buried history that they contain: broader cultural significance as
seen through vintage sheet music, rare original recordings, bizarre
facts and weird old-time cliches. Lots of weird old-time cliches.

Come along—you know you want to. . . .