[Dixielandjazz] Royalties

Kit W. Johnson kit at bscjb.com
Wed Apr 16 14:25:56 PDT 2008

Hello Bob:

The cost for royalties per CD depends on the length of the song and other
factors. Harry Fox has a minimum pressing size of 2500. On average that's
cost me about $250 per song under five minutes in length to the best of my
recollection.

I believe that you still pay for the PR copies. I'm sure the argument would
be that you are still deriving benefit out of that song in good will,
increased bookings, etc. Hence the publisher or other owners have a right to
their fair share.

My suspicion is that there are bigger fish to fry than these limited
pressing situations, and it is probably not cost effective for owners to
chase. However, I still have to live with myself, so I choose to pay it.

If you do get caught it is more than merely paying what you should have in
the first place. There are penalties involved.

If you want to avoid the fees and administration then you can choose to
record only tunes that are now in the public domain (generally those written
before 1923) or your own original works.

Hope that helps.
Kit

Kit W. Johnson
Black Swan Classic Jazz Band