[Dixielandjazz] Music stand screens

Andy.Ling at quantel.com Andy.Ling at quantel.com
Tue Apr 15 02:16:42 PDT 2008

Kash wrote on 14/04/2008 22:24:27:

> Andy Ling commented about my having seen music stand screens on the War
of
> the Worlds concert tv show.  Everyone had their individual stand with a
> screen sitting on it.  No one during the whole concert touched the
screens,
> so they must have been projecting the proper musical page in sync with
the
> video sync.  That wouldn't be hard to do in itself, as in a concert of
that
> type everything would be synced together.  Even Pink Floyd used to have
> their music synced with multitrack recorders & their light show &
special
> effects, so none of the syncing bit is new.  All you need is SMPTE code
& a
> router.  What is new is seeing the music screens, which I thought were
still
> awhile off in the future.

There's nothing difficult about the technology. A standard laptop screen
some compute power and storage are all that is needed. Something like
the tablet PCs would do the job. As I said before, I'm sure I saw
something
similar 10-15 years ago. I would guess the cost is the problem.

There probably isn't the demand to make enough of them to get the cost
down.

A bit more investigation came up with these to links :-

http://www.hammacher.com/publish/73577.asp?promo=#

http://www.musicreader.net/

The first is rather expensive. It has a foot pedal for page turning, so
that
may be why you couldn't see anything in the video.

The second is software to add to your own tablet PC or laptop.

I'm not sure either offer transposing facilities.

There is also the problem of battery life. They talk of only 3 hours
which may not be enough.

I think there is still room for improvement.

Andy Ling

--
This e-mail is intended for the named addressees only. Its contents may be
privileged or confidential and should be treated as such. If you are not