[Dixielandjazz] Perfect Tune To Learn Trad Soloing

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Apr 14 16:12:49 PDT 2008

I don't play a two bar snippet but a full chorus.  Let me say that I dislike
quotes in general as being trite and cutesy.  I have listened to bands that
threw them in all over the place and it was more distracting than anything
else.  I find that very few musicians do it well or are that clever.

I suggest you consult the people who collect money for this and ask them
about "quotes" and how long they can be.  I'm sure two bars wouldn't
necessarily constitute an infringement but 8 almost certainly would.  What
if it's 16 or 32 bars or isn't a snippet at all but a full fledged 100%
quote?  I don't think the people that police this kind of thing care about
how long it is although I'm sure there is a "reasonable" time or number of
bars.  I would also assume that the content might dictate also and that it
would have to be recognizable as a copyrighted work.

I haven't had the experience but a friend who has a CD out had a quote in a
tune and paid royalties on it.  I have the CD but don't remember how long
the quotes were.   I understand they ask for the length of time that
something is played and charge accordingly for example the tunes in a
medley.

There are a lot of things done that are just too small potatoes for someone
to take to court.  This seems to be the case with a lot of the trad bands
who's publishing efforts rarely go over the few hundred CD sales but I
guarantee that if a major star published a recording with a substantial
quote in it they would pay for it.

So far as small potatoes goes, the major publishing companies typically
don't go after the small fry that publish a few fake books or CD's and
especially in OKOM.  There just isn't any money in it.  I would be willing
to bet that if the fake book guys were to sell 100K copies from major
outlets that there would be a knock on the door.

One time My high school band played one of those tunes that had dozens of
two to four bar "Quotes" in it all strung together.  I would just bet they
had to pay on every one.

Maybe someone else knows the exact rules on it.
Larry
STL