[Dixielandjazz] Salute to the Tuba Playeers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 14 09:55:44 PDT 2008

List Mate John McClernan pointed to the following letter to the NY
Times about creative right brain activities. The last paragraph
salutes the tuba players.

Cheers,

Steve Barbone

www.myspace.com/barbonestreetjazzband

To the Editor:

Re “Let Computers Compute. It’s the Age of the Right Brain.” (Unboxed,
April 6):

Making computers work, however, is also right-brain creative activity.
A software developer, for example, must talk to customers to
understand the software’s desired behavior, then come up with the best
design to meet different and often conflicting requirements:
efficiency, performance, stability, usability, ease of maintenance and
so on. It’s an art and a craft.

When I started as a software developer in the early ’80s, I worked on
a team with three Ph.D.’s in music — all tuba players! Most good
professionals I’ve known over the years — programmers, database
administrators, testers, system administrators — are also accomplished
artists, musicians and/or writers.

Lisa Crispin

Castle Rock, Colo., April 7