[Dixielandjazz] Blueblowers

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Sun Apr 13 19:50:46 PDT 2008

billsharp wrote:
> In this video of the Blueblowers, does anyone have any ideas on how
> the melody is being played?  Sounds like like kazoo, but I can't see
> one.  All I can see is a metal cup.  Did he have a hole in it through
> which he blew, or what?  Also what do you think the wrapping is, on
> which the the drummer is beating ?
>
> http://www.dailymotion.com/related/1970987/video/x17yn3_mckenzie-1929_music
>

> Bill S.

I wondered much the same thing. In another video from the same person,
Red plays through a megaphone. The kazoo, if that is indeed what it is,
is also not visible there. It may be splitting hairs, and the musical
quality is certainly not affected, but I had always understood Red's
instrument to be the tissue-paper wrapped comb. I would speculate that
his comb is mounted cross-wise in the can or cup that we see in the one
video. Maybe somebody who was alive then can speak from personal knowledge.

Steve Holzer