[Dixielandjazz] Blueblowers

Stephen G Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 13 13:25:52 PDT 2008

> <sharp-b at clearwire.net> wrote:
> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Blueblowers
>

> In this video of the Blueblowers, does anyone have any ideas on how
> the
> melody is being played?  Sounds like like kazoo, but I can't see one.
> All I can see is a metal cup.  Did he have a hole in it through which
> he blew, or what?  Also what do you think the wrapping is, on which
> the
> the drummer is beating ?

Hill Bill:

Just a guess but I think that cup is a form of kazoo. All you need for
a kazoo is a metal tube, open at both ends, with a membrane that
vibrates as you hum or sing into it. The membrane can be in the
middle, or on top like the standard kazoos, like the ones we played as
kids.  There are all sorts of variants. Tony Spargo, (Sbabaro) played
one that looked like a trumpet at Nick's in NYC back in the 40s and 50s.

McKenzie is also playing his comb on those tunes I think. Quick
switches.

I think the suitcase wrapper was plain wrapping paper.