[Dixielandjazz] Keeping Time was stylistic differences

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Apr 12 20:09:39 PDT 2008

Larry Walton Entertainment wrote [in part]:
> Dragging [and speeding too Larry] is a completely different
> problem.........a drummer (rhythm player) that's listening ....and
> reacting to you and not the other way around.......this comes from
> playing with records........  The flip side.........is the rhythm
> player who has his head up his *** and doesn't listen to
> anyone.....the guy that keeps playing four bars after everyone else
> quits or plays through breaks.

Thank you for that one Larry.
This little duck has been preaching the same thing for years
(including, occasionally, on the DJML).
It bears repeating occasionally.
I always remember the advice Peter Sellers (in character) gave in a
Goon Show episode years ago:
"You all know the rules, so here they are again."
Kind regards,
Bill.