[Dixielandjazz] Keeping Time was stylistic differences

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Apr 12 17:54:01 PDT 2008

In a Dixie band there are two people in charge.  The drummer is in charge of
rhythm and the cornet player is the musical leader the instant he picks up
his horn.  They are the 500 lb. gorilla in the room and everyone else is in
between.

Dragging is a completely different problem.  This was a drummer (rhythm
player) that's listening to you and reacting to you and not the other way
around.  I think some of this comes from playing with records rather than
with live groups.  Habits are learned young and early.  Young players often
don't have groups to play with so they play along with recordings and never
get the independence that is necessary.  The flip side of that of course is
the rhythm player who has his head up his *** and doesn't listen to anyone.
He's the guy that keeps playing four bars after everyone else quits or plays
through breaks.

Hard as it might be to believe but everyone shouldn't be a drummer but it
wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone to take drum lessons to learn timing.

> Makes no difference to him because he plays  on what some call "the front
> edge of the beat" all the time.

This lets you play where ever you want and if you are in a laying back mood
the drummer won't get even further behind which would happen if the drummer
was following you.  If the rhythm players don't do this, the music won't
have that energy that OKOM can have.

Musical energy is kind of hard to define because there are so many elements
to it.  While I may not be able to exactly define it I do know it when I
hear it and rhythm players have to play on the front edge of the beat and be
pushing it without rushing.

I would just about bet that the whole musical energy of the group changed
with the new guy.

I think that was the problem with my band on NYEve.  I used a drummer that I
had played with several times before but a different bass player.  The bass
player that I normally play with is just an excellent bass man and I suspect
that he held this drummer in line on the previous gigs.  I thought he was an
OK drummer.  Everything combined made a less than good job.  What happened
is all the best guys got NYEve gigs and I booked fairly late so I got the
left overs.  My NYEve drummer and bass player didn't keep the energy going
and everything was kind of flat because of it.  We played tunes and we were
OK in the eyes of our clients but I think it could have been a whole lot
better.  It's exactly what we are talking about.
Larry
STL