[Dixielandjazz] Young At Heart

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Fri Apr 11 10:32:08 PDT 2008

David Richoux wrote:
> Cottonfield Capers (1901)
> Coon Hollow Capers
> Sunshine Capers
> Canadian Capers
>
> And Randy Newman wrote the scores for both "Ragtime" and "The Great
> Muppet Caper."
> (and BTW,  I have been told that his score for the new film
> "Leatherheads" is very OKOM, but I have not heard it yet.

I saw "Leatherheads" the other day. The score is generally true to the
time period, including some genuine recordings by Al Jolson. If it had
been me, I might have induced Queen Latifah to do her Bessie Smith thing
somwewhere in the show. As it is, there is a speakeasy scene where an
unseen trumpet player gets some nice solo space and a black lady cabaret
singer gets screen time singing a standard Gershwin tune (I forget which
one - maybe The Man I Love). She sings with a trace of Billie Holiday
and the trumpet player's style is probably a little advanced for the
time frame, but I think that is quibbling. I really enjoyed the movie
and encourage everybody to see it. People whop liked Clark Gable in the
days of screwball comedy may find that George Clooney is more than
Gable's equal. Laies will probably wish they had Rene Zellweger's hair
stylist.

Steve Holzer