[Dixielandjazz] Stylistic differences

PHIL WILKING philwilking at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 9 20:04:15 PDT 2008

>  JDut953944 at aol.com asked:

> Could someone explain to me the difference between the three?  I
> was  asked
> that question yesterday and I didn't have a clue, except I know that
> N.O.  was
> first.
> Carol, Clarinet

Many on this list know much more than I, especially Chris Tyle, but I find
that the older New Orleans jazz bandsmen  have a different synchopation
technique from other jazz musicians.

Your typical "dixieland" front-liner will tend to jump the beat to
synchopate and then try to drop back to it. Unfortunately, unless the
drummer and other rhythm players have superhuman tempo sense, they will have
tended to advance the beat to try to match up with the fellow playing in
front of it, and the result is that the band plays faster and faster.

The old New Orleans men would synchopate by lagging the beat slightly, by
putting a very brief rest at the start of the first measure to be
synchopated. Then they would adjust the length of the notes at the end of
the synchopated passage to get back on the beat. The rhythm section finds it
much easier to resist being slowed down than to resist being dragged into
going faster, so the result is better tempo control and a more "relaxed"
feel to the music.

Phil Wilking

Those who would exchange freedom for
security deserve neither freedom nor security.