[Dixielandjazz] Definitive Stomp

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Sat Apr 5 05:56:10 PDT 2008

This is more of a reply to Charlie Coleman's post, which I inconveniently
deleted.  I remember reading when I was a kid that on those Bill Challis
arrangements such as "My Pretty Girl" and "Sunday" with the Goldkette band
and "From Monday On" with the Whiteman Orchestra, Bix is playing lead in the
trumpet section, and it does sound like his horn to me.  So although he
doesn't solo, he's a big part in what makes those records sound so good.

Hal Vickery