[Dixielandjazz] Firehouse 5 + 2

Don Iwerks doniwerks at mac.com
Wed Apr 2 21:36:08 PDT 2008

I worked at Disney for many years and knew Frank Thomas, Ward Kimball
and others from the Firehouse 5.  Used to listen to them practice on
the sound effects stage during the lunch hour once or twice a week.
Great stuff!

I wrote to his son Ted Thomas whom I know well and is also an
accomplished jazz musician on the trumpet.  Ted and a group of guys
picked up where the Firehouse 5 left off during the noon hour
sessions.  I asked Ted if the Firehouse Five ever recorded the The
Dark Town Strutter's Ball.

This was his answer:

I don't believe that the FH5 + 2 ever did record Dark Town Strutter's
Ball.  The song is certainly one of the old favorites in the
literature, but, although I know they played it live, they never did
it in the recording studio.

Don Iwerks
(not a musician but a big fan of Dixieland music)