[Dixielandjazz] Jacquet

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Tue Apr 1 19:07:29 PDT 2008

There's a river that runs through beautiful downtown Joliet called the Des
Plaines ("dess-plains").  And don't forget that street in Chicago called
Devon ("de-VON") Ave.

There are all kinds of weird pronunciations in the Midwest.  One of my
favorites is a town in southern Illinois called Vienna ("vye-enna").  And of
course there is Cairo ("KAY-ro").  One of my favorites is in Indiana,
though.  The town whose high school basketball team the movie "Hoosiers" was
based on is Milan ("MY-lin").

Hal Vickery