[Dixielandjazz] Guitar Based / Horn Based - The pendulum effect

tubaman at tubatoast.com tubaman at tubatoast.com
Tue Apr 1 16:29:21 PDT 2008

There were/are several horn based rock fusion bands in the 60s and 70s
- Chase, Tower of Power and B.S.&T. come to mind. One guitar based
band that also used horns well was Frank Zappa's various large band
configurations. He managed to combine crazy guitar antics with
outstanding trumpet, bone and reed players, creating some really
interesting stuff.

The upturn in what are being called Streetbands or Honk! Bands has
been noted by me (and others) several times on this list. The
influences of New Orleans Brass Bands, Balkan Brass, Klezmer, Samba
groups as well as more traditional marching brasswind bands from all
over the world are showing up in all sorts of places.

Dave Richoux
(BTW, my regular mail server is broken so this is being sent by a
different route. the format is not as I like, but that is the way it
goes.)